Monday, April 16, 2007

another challenging book...

Ok, so after I finished "I am Charlotte Simmons", I decided I needed to read a couple of chick lit books because Charlotte Simmons was so serious. So, I read Shopaholic & Baby, Hide by Lisa Gardener and Step on a Crack by James Patterson. The last two aren't necessarily "girl books", but I think that anything you can read in a few hours is not very challenging.

So, I decided next I would read "The View from Delphi". Wow! It is very intense. It takes place in 1955, I am not certain that they ever give the date, but there are references to Rosa Parks having just refused to give up her seat on the bus. It is the story of a white woman (Hazel) and her black maid (Vida), although I am not certain maid is the correct word, she is more of a housekeeper/babysitter of the lady. Generally I wouldn't point out their race, but the story is about their differences and their similarities. They have both just recently lost children in very different ways, and it's the story of how they eventually become friends. It's really hard to read some of the name-calling, as the "n" word is used a lot. And there is a lot of disregard of other people. It is very good so far, very well written.

To preserve what little sanity I have left, I am not going to write about my review. I'll just say that I "Meet Expectations". And the sponge that I use to wash out my sink meets expectations. Interesting.

Ok, I am going to bed.

1 comment:

Gaft Girl said...

Do I meet expectations? Can you write that on the submissions and send it back to the reps?