Saturday, January 13, 2007

Tea Time...

I am drinking a wonderful cup of mint tea and watching the gophers game and reading a book, and now I am typing in my blog. My house smells like yummy pot roast, it is so-so clean, and the Maryland women's team got beat by Duke. What could be better?

Well, if someone went and got the mail for me so I didn't have to go outside, that would be better.

I am reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I am having a hard time getting into it, not quite sure why. Maybe the subject? It takes place in 1964, and it's about a doctor who delivers his wife's twins, and one of them is born with Down's Syndrome and he gives it away and tells his wife that she died. Hard subject. But, we'll see where the book goes.

I am happy that Maryland got beat. Nothing against Maryland, I just don't like the coach. I didn't want her to be so successful after abandoning Minnesota. It was a good game and Duke was ahead the whole time.

Last night I went to the grocery store by myself. Alyssa called me today from the grocery store with her dad. She told me that she was looking at fish and she thought that she would eat Gorton's Cajun Blackened fish fillets if I bought them. Freekin' weird because that is the exact kind that I bought yesterday. I had it in my cart, put it back, and then decided I would buy it. It is just so weird because that's the only kind I bought and there were like 5 different kinds.

I also bought some fresh tuna steaks. I slightly overcooked it last night, but it was okay. It didn't kill me. It tasted sort of like a pork chop. But it was EXPENSIVE! Like $7 for two pieces. I am going to need to get a second job to support my healthy eating.

My sister called my dad to say that her deployment was being extended. Thank you, Mr. President. Her deployment has been hard on my family, especially since she lives blocks from my parents house. But it has been especially hard on Alyssa because she is not old enough to fully comprehend what's going. I don't really understand it either. But at least I am able to take the media and news reports with a grain of salt. All kids can really understand is that a lot of soldiers are dying. and how do I explain the risks to a child? There is a risk with being in a war zone. And I don't want to tell Alyssa that my sister, her aunt and Godmother, is 100% safe, because she's not. But I also don't want her scared that something is going to happen. This is not fair!! And it is especially not fair that we thought we only had until March to worry, and now that has been extended for a length of time that we don't know.

Ok, I am going to go get the mail before it gets dark.

1 comment:

Gaft Girl said...

I would like to read that book when you are finished. I like to read. And, good news, I found out today that one of my co-worker reads. For pleasure. That made me happy. And they refilled the apple cinnamon tea dispenser. All and all, it was a good day.